Who We Are
Our membership is comprised of firms who operate a woodwork manufacturing business in the Great Lakes region, along with other people in the area with an interest in the woodworking industry - suppliers, educational affiliates, and clients who use woodworking services. Our members hold to a high code of ethics, with attention to both quality of workmanship and to the way they conduct business.
- Conduct business on a high plane of morality and integrity.
- Offer only bona-fide bid proposals with the intent to perform to conclusion upon acceptance.
- Will refrain from causing, by act or innuendo, a feeling of mistrust of a competitor, architect, or owner.
- Will refrain from using sub-standard workmanship or materials that would be detrimental to the woodworking industry as a whole.
- Promote the image of the industry as a progressive, innovative, and responsible function of society.
- Educate architects and clients about AWI Standards
- Market the Great Lakes Chapter to architects, owners and contractors
- Grow the membership
- Continuous education to our membership
The Architectural Woodworking Institute was founded in 1953 in Chicago, and now has chapters throughout the United States. The organization began as an outgrowth of the Millwork Cost Bureau. One of the organization's most important contributions was publishing the Architectural Woodwork Quality Standards Illustrated. This set of standards, first published in 1961, have been adopted throughout North America - by the Architectural Woodwork Institute in the United States, and by the Architectural Woodwork Manufacturer Association of Canada.
The Great Lakes Chapter also plans business and continuing education events, both to enrich our members' body of experience, and to keep them informed about new developments in the field. Along with regular seminars and events, we feature many programs accredited by the AIA, and can offer AIA members continuing education credits. Furthermore, our members become part of an active community of professionals, with numerous meetings and events that allow our members to meet, network, and share knowledge.